The mission of First Unitarian Church of Portland, Oregon, is to create a welcoming community of diverse individuals; to promote love, reason and freedom in religion; to foster lifelong spiritual growth; and to act for social justice.
First Unitarian Church is a beacon of hope for us and for our community, a spiritual center in the heart of our city that helps each of us to find our moral compass, calling and challenging us to build the beloved community with an ever deepening sense of spirit, diversity and inclusion.
The Seven Principles
This covenant between member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association reminds us of higher priorities and values and are the backbone of our religious community:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Unitarian Universalism draws inspiration from many sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
- Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Our Congregational Covenant:
The First Unitarian Church Covenant
A Few Words About Our Faith:
At First Unitarian, our passion stems from deeply held convictions that move us to seek meaning and relationship. As a spiritual community, and as people who choose to follow their spiritual path in genuine and meaningful ways, we yearn for a world that's transformed. We recognize that faith without works is empty.
We draw upon a long heritage of social activism. Since our founding in 1866, our church leadership has been instrumental in establishing many of Portland’s cherished civic institutions, and we continue to provide progressive leadership today. Learn more.
We seek common places where we can grow as a community, and work for a more just and compassionate world. And, our vision and message is carried beyond the Portland, into the wider world.
Ours is a free religious faith. We embrace the rich diversity of beliefs that weave through the fabric of our contemporary world. These, in turn, inform our rich schedule of programs, events, and activities throughout the year.
First Unitarian Church is a dynamic community of individuals who share a spiritual journey. We welcome you to join us.
"We need not think alike to love alike." – Francis David (1510 - 1579)
Meet our Ministers and our Staff.